Peter has had lots of workshops and classes on classroom management as a special ed. teacher. One of his favorites was a "Love and Logic" workshop by Jim and Charles Fay (father and son). I have loved reading their books and listening to their audio CD's, too, as they give principles that work for parenting, too.
A favorite story is from when Jim was a principal. The school janitor came to him and wanted to know how to get the girls to stop kissing the bathroom mirrors after applying lipstick. Jim's solution? Invite the girls to help clean up their mess. As instructed, the janitor explained how hard it was to remove the lipstick as the girls rolled their eyes. He then showed them how he had to clean it off and told them they would do it from now on. Now, this might not sound like it is anything new. But his "cleaning method" that Jim told him to demonstrate certainly did catch the girls off guard and resolved the problem. He took the toilet scrubber brush and swished it in the toilet to get it wet and then went to work getting the lipstick off the mirror. Problem solved!
Here's a link to their website. They send out periodic emails and have audio that you can listen to. They really do teach principles that we like and it is really effective. Enjoy!
http://www.loveandlogic.com/ecom/p-401-keeping-cool-when-parenting-heats-up.aspx
5 comments:
That is so, so funny. Thanks for sharing.
I LOVE those Love and Logic books! i read those while I was studying Early Childhood Education and I fell in love with the principles he teaches. I do agree that so much of what he teaches can be applied to not only teaching but parenting as well. That book changed how I was as a teacher! He has written a parenting with love and logic if you are interested in reading it, I hope to!
Thanks for the insight! I could use all the help I can get!
I agree--Love and Logic is great! That story cracks me up! If only I could be that creative when I'm trying to teach my kids--patience is the key! love the water aerobics story too! You are FUNNY!
I think this story inspired the saying, "some are teachers and some are educators"! I always forgot the story so I was grateful for the reminder! I may need to get that book!
Post a Comment