Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fashion Commentary

Is my blog the right place for me to vent myself and offer my fashion commentary? It all stems from my time out shopping for back-to-school items for my girls. I saw something that just shocked me...stirrup leggings! NOOOOOOOO!!! Those were a terrible flash-in-the-pan fashion mistake of bygone years! Are girls really going to start wearing those again? With a mini jean skirt, coordinating jean jacket (covered with New Kids on the Block buttons, of course), bangle bracelets, and side pony? I didn't know I was so old, but I'm starting to see clothing styles cycle back through that I once wore. And it was terrible then. It hasn't gotten any better, I promise.

And so, I ask any reader to make me a promise. If you wore it the first time it was cool, YOU CANNOT WEAR IT THIS TIME AROUND! My husband teaches at a junior high and I am amazed to see mom and daughter twin-ers. Moms, let us not be frumpy, but let us be classy and tailored, not trendy and tight. Okay, I'm not a fashion guru. I do live on a single income brought in by my (amazing) school teacher husband. But, alas, that is a discussion for another day. I do refuse to dress like a teenager, though. Say no to stirrup leggings!

4 comments:

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Haha! I was actually just thinking about those horrible stirrup leggings the other day.. they were pretty horrible and my little girls will NEVER wear them! I agree that moms should be dressing more classy rather than like their young teenage girls. I see so many LDS moms that do this as well! I will gladly protest those horrible stirrups with you if the need arises!:)

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Shocked that you see middle school girls who are willing to twin-dress with their mom!

Enjoying the Journey said...

Amen, sista!

leslie said...

Those awful stirrups were a fashion faux pas clear back then. They definitely should not be resurrecting a fashion that never should have been alive in the first place!