Thursday, July 2, 2009

To sew a quilt

I inherited this beautiful quilt top from my Grandma Hazelton, who inherited it from her Grandma. I decided to learn to quilt so that I could make a replica and eventually finish this quilt and 4 others that she gave me.

I tried to take a close up picture of some of the fabrics used. This were 1930's era, known for their vibrant colors. These cheerful fabrics were favored during this time of the Depression.


I also tried to get a picture of the hand stitching. It is so even compared to what I do!! Because it was hand stitched, I wasn't able to make an exact replica.


This is my effort (which has taken me a considerable amount of time!) I found many reproduction prints of the 1930's fabrics used originally. It also reflects another quilt I always loved growing up. That one was a gift from my Dad's Grandma Hazelton for their wedding. It had the small 1-inch squares.




Hopefully, this will soon be on Audrey's bed! I have a matching one with pink tulips ready to piece for Carissa's bed. It is all cut out, as I did it along with Audrey's pieces. It has been a wonderful project that has helped me have the motivation to learn a skill that I otherwise would have probably have given up out of frustration! And it has caused me to reflect on my heritage. What a blessing.

5 comments:

leslie said...

Holler if you need help! I have some time while Bart is home from work! They are real treasures and a gift that will just keep on giving.

Enjoying the Journey said...

I love that! Great job and what a fun thing to have from your great-grandma! Wow! I just think that's a great project--way to go Mandy!

Sssarah said...

Mandy you did an AMAZING job! :) Your girls are going to cherish those quilts forever! Rock on girl! :)

The Anderson Family said...

Holy Cow!

jbirdclarke said...

Those are beautiful quilts. You did a great job. Thanks for letting us see them. What a neat talent to share with your Grandma.
I'm sure that you felt close to her all the time you were working on the quilts.